Monday, January 19, 2009

Ryukyu Mura

Went to Ryukyu Mura yesterday and had a lot of fun! I'd describe it as a place you would visit if you want to see and experience the simplicity of Okinawan culture - pottery, shisa, traditional music and dances, tea ceremonies, and etc. For a Sunday, it was pleasantly less busy.

Joey was the King and I was the Queen.


Entrance to Ryukyu Mura.

There's a small feeding pond with tons of carp. Can you tell they're hungry?

Smile.

Yummy coconut drinks! We had the mango-coconut.

Shisa are popular here.
The left, closed mouth keeps in good spirits and the right, opened mouth wards off evil spirits.
I want a pair, but I can't decide which colors and/or style.

They have shows throughout the day.
One was with traditional music and singing, along with traditional dances.

We missed out on the virtual fight between the Habu snake and the mongoose - that's another ticket. But we did get to see the snakes and mongoose in their cages, so I'll just imagine it.

1 comment:

Charity said...

That looks like fun! I think Chris and I may have to check that out.