Monday, January 5, 2009

I'm a Mrs.

When I went to Kadena today, the security guard checked my ID at the gate, acknowledged me by my last name, and told me to have a nice day. First, I didn't know that they actually check the names on the ID, I thought they just look at the picture and make sure it's not expired. Second, I thought it was nice that she actually acknowledged me by name - I've never had that done before by the security guards. Third, I realized that I've been married for almost 11 months, and it is just now that I'm getting used to my new last name.

For a while after I got married, I still used my maiden name at school - which confused me even more. I changed my name legally the week after Joey and I got married, and when it came down for my signature at the Social Security office, I realized, I didn't know how my new signature would look like. I sat for 5 minutes before I was called just scribbling new ways to write my new name - I still don't like my signature.

I remember getting my medical clearance done in May to come over to Oki, and the nurse practitioner kept calling me by my new last name. After many failed attempts, she called me by my maiden name - she had my immunization card with my old name - and I promptly responded. "Just married, huh," she asked when I came up and explained her reasoning. Oops!

No comments: