Thursday, July 31, 2008

Welcome Briefing

I've been on the island for one month already, and I FINALLY went to the Welcome Briefing. I had five opportunities to go, so why did I wait so long? Because:

1. The day after I arrived, I wanted to go shopping, not go to a class!
2. Joey and I did all my in-processing paperwork once I arrived (which is half of the Briefing).
3. I didn't know attendance was mandatory in order to obtain a license.
4. One of the days, we woke up late.
5. Joey is my mode of transportation, and he was called into work last week, the day of the Briefing - his usual day off.

What did I learn?

1. When the upcoming festivals are being held.
2. The off-base emergency phone number is 119.
3. Can't send "knock-off" or "designer" purses through the mail, or else they can be confiscated - sorry family!
4. Chopstick etiquette and Japanese phrases.
5. A lot of legal and military information, which I'll just ask Joey in the future again if need be.

What did I get?

1. Bunch of information from various colleges for Joey so he can start some classes, or maybe I can get another degree (or even a Master's).
2. A scrapbook how-to guide - because all my scrapbook material is stowed away in a box.
3. Information about the on-base chapel.
4. Flyer's about volunteer work in my field of interest.
5. Pens, magnets, mirrors, plastic bags, pamphlets, and lots of paper!