Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Lizards and Spiders, Oh My!

Insects on this island are on steroids! The size of an ant in the states is the size of the ants leg here in Oki.

Back home, I could kill a teeny weenie spider, no problem. An ant? Who cares. When there is an ant trail, I bust out the Raid and spray like crazy. A bee buzzing around, I duck and go on my way.

But over here, it's another story! I could be developing insectophobia, herpetophobia, agrizoophobia, arachnephobia, and etc ... any and all things that on land (I have yet to discover creepy things in the ocean) that's alive, other than human. Yes, it's self-diagnosed. Here's why,

1. One night, I went into my bedroom and see a lizard. I call Joey to get it. But the thought of the lizards tail detaching from it's body (which does happen, for those of you who didn't know) ran a chill down my body and caused me to jump on the bed as Joey captured it and safely released it.

2. Joey and I were in the computer room. He all of a sudden says, "Babe, don't ask questions, just get out of the room." Weird, right? So, of course I ask, "Why?" "You don't want to know, just don't turn around," he said. Immediately I knew it was a spider and ran out! All I heard was *thunk thunk* and a few minutes later, Joey came out with a dead spider wrapped in a paper towel to throw in the trash. Of course, I made him throw the whole trash outside just in case the spider magically came alive and crawled out of the trash and attacked us at night!

Joey and I came to the conclusion that the only way the lizard and spider entered the apartment was when we open the front or sliding glass door because there are grates that cover the air conditioning vents and any other holes, which are small enough to keep out those steroid ants.

3. They very next day after the 1st spider incident, Joey and I were about to leave our apartment and specifically reminded each other to check the door so that insects don't enter. Just as Joey opened the door, a brown spider tried to enter from the top, so he immediately slammed the door shut! The spider got trapped between the door and squirted its juice and guts on Joey's face!

Look at those eyes! Creepy!

Look at the size of that thing! It's about the size of half my hand!

Now, EVERYWHERE I go, I look around like a mad woman for any kind of non-human life (i.e. bugs, spiders, flying insects) that are in my pathway. Three more years left. I think I should live in a bubble.

5 comments:

CHERYL said...

HOLY SHIT!! that spider is huge! i got chills when i saw that thing! ew. u shoulda gotten a picture of the spiders guts on joeys face! that woulda been a funny ass pic!

KRISTINA DIZON said...

oh my goodness!!! it's bringing back horrible memories of spiders in the philippines in the middle of the night!

the.cat's.meow said...

HOLY CRAP ADING! UMMM. so will you be sleeping with me to warn of the insects! AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

JOMYLENE FLORES said...

for a second i thought you were exaggerating... but "Oh, my Goodness!" They're huge! Aside from the spiders & lizards, I hope you're having fun in Japan. You are terribly missed.

apeface said...

omg i'd cry. hahaha