Friday, July 11, 2008

Food Adventures

This week, me and Joey went around the island some more. I kind of, sort of, know the streets to turn on to get from our place to the different bases. But as for me driving anytime soon, NO! For those of you who know me, stop laughing. For those of you who don't know me, trust me, you don't want me to drive yet!

Went to the BX/PX to buy some little things and the commissary to feed us. I'm so glad both me and Joey know how to cook - rather than having sandwiches for dinner. But, we still want to enjoy the food on the island, so we went to American Village, which is a place on the island that is marked by a huge Ferris wheel. I want to go on it, but it's hot and I'd rather stay on the ground rather than closer to the sun!


The American Village sign.

The other day, I went to my first sushi-go-round at Ichiban Tei! It's one of those places, where you sit, and there are sushi plates rotating around, and you just grab and eat, or you can special order anything. On the way home later, we passed by a bakery close to our place called Michel's Bakery and got a bunch of treats, some were "hopia" like - a Filipino dessert. Yummy stuff!

My favorites were the square one - a potato dessert, the cake slice, and the round puff pastry in foil.

Another day, we went to a farmer's market called Chanpuru Ichiba, cause the veggies at the commissary are pitiful - limp, bruised, rotten, or just plain ugly! We also got some more desserts (the triangular things in the picture), they're kind of like sapin-sapin, another Filipino dessert. Then we wanted to get green onions, so I grabbed some, but Joey picked up another batch cause he said, "Oh, just get these cause they don't have the bulbs at the bottom, and they're cheaper!" So, I put my batch down and Joey puts his in the cart. When we got home, I look at it, and it's NOT even green onions!!! I think it's lemon grass! Neither me or Joey know how to cook with lemon grass! Well, whatever we make with it will be an interesting dish!

Look at the middle Mom and Dad, it's those sesame balls we love! We got it at one of the food vendors outside the Farmer's Market.

Then, we went to a place called Ichigenya, in American Village. They're food was pretty good, and they cook in front of you if you sit at the bar, or you have a hot plate at your own table. I had a beef yakisoba and fried rice mix, wrapped in an egg! Joey had the same thing, except he had octopus and chicken in his yakisoba, without the rice.


For dessert, we went next door to Farmer's Ice for Okinawa Gelato. Not sure how they make the gelato Okinawan, but it tasted good to me!


That's all for my Japanese food adventures, but I'm sure there are many more to come!

1 comment:

aviva5271 said...

You GO, Liza! That Chanpuru market is fabulous, isn't it? Their takoyaki and azuki sno cones (sold outside the store) are fantastic!!

What you thought were green onions, those are leeks. I found out at a cooking class. they add great flavor to food, but no, they aren't chives.

I'm excited for you to experience the local food - you're obviously adventurous and you'll love it! Your food adventures are just beginning, that's for sure. Have a great weekend!