Thursday, July 17, 2008

He Gets My F.R.I.E.N.D.S. Jokes!

I am a F.R.I.E.N.D.S fan! Back home, my older sister and I would watch all the 10 seasons of F.R.I.E.N.D.S. on DVD, and they'd practically be on repeat mode until we fall asleep. We even had the Scene It game for F.R.I.E.N.D.S.! Call us dorks, or whatever you like, but it is a funny show and the jokes never get old! My whole family would even get in on the F.R.I.E.N.D.S. jokes and put them into conversation - i.e. I recently told my sister I had a "Ross Moment" because in the show he accidentally said 'squatternut bosh' instead of 'butternut squash'. When I was talking to Joey last week, I accidentally said 'deep shitted feets', instead of 'deep fitted sheets'!

So Joey is buying me my own set of the F.R.I.E.N.D.S. DVD's so I can watch them over here in Oki and he's been watching them with me too. And now he's starting to add F.R.I.E.N.D.S. jokes into conversation and get my jokes as well. *Sigh* I feel like I'm back at home!

Anyway, I noticed that my left arm will forever be darker than my right arm. Okay, not forever. What I'm trying to say is that back in the States, I had a driver's tan - where the left arm is darker than the right because you drive on the left side of the car. Now, since I don't drive (and don't plan on driving until Joey buys me an automatic and I get over my fear of driving on the other side of the road), I still sit on the left side as a passenger, thus tanning my left arm more!

Now on to the food!

While we're on the island, Joey and I want to try as many different restaurants, therefore, we're going to try to visit each place once ... or until we've run out of places to eat! It may seen like we go out to eat everyday, but we don't. The pictures of food just accumulate over the span of a week. We actually eat at home more than you think!

Joey took me to eat at Coco Curry house! It was sooooo good! I even finished my food before Joey, and everyone knows Joey can eat his food in one minute or less! Sorry no pictures, it was just too good to take a second to take a picture! At Coco's they have a level of intensity for hotness from 1-10, 10 being the hottest. I started with a 2, upon Joey's suggestion. I could have gone a few more levels up, however, Joey was practically drenched in sweat once he finished his meal. Haha! I love hot food, I was born with a Bicol tongue - huh, Mom!

We bought a bunch of filled-breads from the bakery in Jusco. Yummy! My favorite was the top left one because it was filled with curry and reminded me of Coco's. Starting clockwise from the curry-filled bread was a ground meat and cheese, then cheese and chicken with some type of horse radish, then a sweet bread filled with a sweet melon type of custard, and then the largest bread was plain cheese with mayo in the middle.


There is another food vendor at Jusco that sells Takoyaki. Takoyaki are fried octopus balls and topped with different flavors and condiments. It was so good and fresh! They cook them right in front of you! We also tried this fish shaped waffle thing filled with sweet beans. I thought it was okay, but Joey loved it. They also had some filled with either green beans or custard.




Another vendor in Jusco sold a variety of onigiri, which are flavored rice wrapped in nori. We got the Spam onigiri with egg, otherwise known as spam musubi. It was good, like any other musubi, but nothing out of the ordinary.


We found boba! We went to Quickly, I got the Taro Shake and Joey got the Sweet Melon Shake. Honestly, I didn't think it was the best I've had, or even close. The shake had too much ice, which watered down the flavor and made it hard to mix the boba into the drink.


Mister Donut is another place we tried. It's set up is like a buffet of donuts. You hand pick each donut and bring them to the register. Here is the variety that we chose. We got an old-fashioned chocolate dipped, strawberry dipped, chocolate topped, honey churro, and chocolate sprinkled-with-some-kind-of-crumbs donuts. The chocolate isn't as sugar-y or icing-y as they are in the states. And, I think because we went to Mister Donut at night, the churro donut tasted a bit stale.



It's been two weeks since I've been in Oki, and I still have so much to do and see, but I love it already!

2 comments:

Heather Hansen said...

True story:

Monday night we were on a walk and my little girl had to go potty. So we stopped at American Village to use their facilites. However, because of the walk, she was so sweaty that I couldn't get her pants back up.

So I left the bathroom and told my husband, "OMG, it was just like that episode with Ross and the leather pants."

He looked at me with a blank stare.

"You know, Ross from FRIENDS and he goes on the date in leather pants and then can't get them back on. So he calls Chandler who tells him to use baby powder only that creates a white paste and then the girl walks in..."

Still a blank stare.

I felt stupid. "Well, it was a good episode."

"I can tell." And he grins at me like I'm an idiot.

:)

Heather Hansen said...

The welcome brief is a req for driving... and if you're 26 and younger you have to go to a more detailed "learn to drive safety" class, plus take the test, of course. Driving is pretty easy -- it's really harder than it looks. The sooner you jump in the better it will be. If you wait too long, you'll develop a phobia. :)

I'll email you the driving booklet if you don't have it. My email is prncesh1 (at) hotmail (dot) com