Friday, July 4, 2008

I'm FINALLY in Okinawa

*WARNING: This blog is super long, so grab your pillow, blanket, and a cup of hot chocolate as you try to read this novel!

This past weekend, on Saturday, I had a Graduation & Farewell Party at a buffet in San Diego with some family and friends. It was good food in great company! I miss everyone already! But don't worry, I'll be back!

My friends who came to lunch: Lei, Ming, Cat, and Cat's boyfriend
Steve - who's leaving next month for Oki too!

My sisters and cousins! I miss them so much!


Here I am with Joey's family. They lived in Okinawa for a total of six years! Before I arrived, they'd tell me and Joey so many stories and places to go, and each time I got more excited to leave!

After the lunch, I went back to my house, rented movies, some relatives came over, and then my cousin Cheryl (my other 'sister') came over to sleep over. You know what I realized Che (if you're reading this), we should have gone to Great Moon one last time together, and of course Rei de Gado's! Haha, next time!

The next morning, Sunday, was when I had to leave. My parents stayed at home, because 1. it would be to hard to say goodbye to them during the ride to the airport, and 2. we had some other relatives sleeping over. My goodbyes to my Mom and Dad were quick, just cause I didn't want to cry - but I did end up tearing up. It would have been much harder to leave if they dropped me off. But they know I love them so much! My sisters and Cheryl dropped me off at the airport. They're goodbye was short and sweet too.

Now on to the DRAMA! My flight to Okinawa was supposed to go as follows: San Diego > San Francisco > Narita (Tokyo) > Okinawa. But, I guess because of all the fires in Northen California, the air quality was bad, therefore all flights to San Francisco were delayed! But since I have connecting flights, they put me on an earlier flight out, which was delayed, but would still leave earlier than my original flight. As I was waiting, the delayed time went from 9:22 am to 10:00 to 10:30 am to 10:45 am to 11:30 am, and with an hour and a half flight, I was definitely not going to make my 1:00 pm flight to Narita.

I had my itinerary rerouted for the next day. I decided to just fly out to San Francisco, just in case there were more delays out from San Diego on Monday. Joey's family lives nearby in SF, and were so kind to pick me up, feed me, give me a bed, and drop me back at the airport the next day. In a way, I'm kind of glad my flight schedule was messed up, because it gave me a chance to hang out with Joey's sister, her kids, and Joey's aunt and mom.

I also was able to see a lot of Joey's artwork he did back in high school, and they are GOOD! I knew he was an artist, but since I've known him, he's only painted three paintings. Right now, he's more into fixing cars and any DIY project. I'm glad I have a handyman husband!

So, my flights changed to San Diego > San Francisco > Osaka > Okinawa. I landed in Okinawa on Monday, July 1 and saw Joey holding up a huge sign with my name and other things written in Japanese saying "Welcome" and "Congratulations on your Graduation" (I think). Isn't he great!

Right when we exited the airport, the humidity hit me. Joey made me laugh when he said, "It's like the Philippines, except it doesn't stink!" It's true! The weather isn't bad as I thought. You only realize it when you walk from your car to your house or store. Besides, me complaining for three years wouldn't help, I just have to suck it up.

I was pretty hungry, but tired, when I arrived, so we went to McDonald's. Yes, I know! What am I thinking, why didn't I go somewhere else? Well, it was 24 hours, on the way, and I just needed some kind of food. The menu is kind of the same, except they have Teriyaki burgers and a Mega Mac, which is a Big Mac, except with two extra patties!

Got to our apartment and I love it! The computer room is smaller than I thought, but still good. The view from our bedroom is BEAUTIFUL! I'll show pictures soon! And even though we're on the second floor, it seems like the third floor because you have to climb some stairs just to get to the first floor! It's okay though - it's exercise I need.

On Wednesday, we went shopping! There were still a bunch of things the apartment needed, and Joey waited so I can help him decorate. We also desperately needed to go grocery shopping because I can't live off of Joey's bachelor ways. In his fridge, he had water, beer, a couple of soda's, eggs, bacon, sausage, cereal, and a lot of TV dinners. I bet the people on Wednesday that saw us with a cart full of home decor and/or groceries knew we were newbies! I don't care, cause I love it! I've never had my own place before, so it was exciting for me!

Thursday, we were supposed to go shopping again for more storage units, but Joey was called into work. Boo, I know! So I stayed, unpacked my luggage and cleaned up a bit. But at night, we went out to eat sushi at "Yoshi (Something)". It was yummy!

Today is July 4th! Joey's on call for today, but later we were invited over for dinner at his coworkers place. We might bring some firecrackers/sparklers that we bought the other day! If they sell them in a store, they must be legal here right?

The End.
You've reached the end of this post! Great job!

2 comments:

aviva5271 said...

WELCOME, LIZA!! So fun reading your adventures.... I have to tell you, I'm happy for you that you went through Osaka b/c Narita is a pain in the butt - you have to shuttle across to a domestic terminal and it's way more confusing. So be glad.

1. Yoshihachi's - great little place! OH girl, just wait until you try some other stuff around here, I'll help show you guys!

2. Fireworks - locally legal but illegal for the Americans. So no more of that.... ok? :)

3. Hope you enjoyed the 4th!! Get in touch when you can and we'll go do something fun. Enjoy your first days and you WILL acclimate a bit to this humidity. It's awful, but you must suffer to enjoy this amazingly gorgeous place!

Edgar said...

Konichiwa. So finally you made it! Enjoy it while you can and for sure, touch base with Aviva and learn photography from her, or better yet get her to take a picture of you and Joey.

We told you about a small restaurant near Kadena (High School Gate)called Yachabo. I hope they're still open.

Sayonara for now.

Tito Egay