Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Newcomers Bus Tour

I know I'm not technically "new" to Okinawa, but I decided to join a friend on the Newcomers Bus Tour held by the Airman and Family Readiness Center last week. I never went on it when I arrived last year because Joey was my tour guide.

Everything we saw was in the Yomitan and Onna area - by my home, yay! We started at the Zakimi-jo Site, which is a castle ruin. It was beautiful up there!

These are zushigame - traditional urns.


Then we visited the Yomitan Pottery Village where they fire up the kiln three to four times a year, which they make into a big event.

The kiln is huge!


Next, we went to the Yomitan Glass Factory where they gave us a demonstration of glass art.


Soon it was lunch time and we headed to the Onna Farmers Market. Afterwards, we ended with a traditional Okinawan dance performance at Ryukyu Mura.

1 comment:

CharityZ. said...

I'm glad you were with us, Liza! I need to post some of my pics. My family would love to see them.