Saturday, March 28, 2009

Onna Market and Boulangerie

Today was rainy, but it didn't stop us from exploring more of the island. We went to the Onna Market, which has a farmer's market, a fish market (not so much fresh, off-the-boat type fish), a French bakery, an Okinawan gift shop/market, and several food booths.

Part of the market inside.

We got some soursop fruit, but Joey's says it's something else. It's not as spiky as the soursop fruit, but the inside looks the same. We're waiting for it to ripen a little bit more to taste and see if it really is soursop. Anyone have any ideas of what it may be?

This is one of the joys of living in a foreign country. You see something that looks good and buy it (i.e. at markets, restaurants, and etc), but you don't really know what it is because the name of it is in Japanese!

I was excited about the bakery - Boulangerie de Paris. I used to work in a French pastry/cafe, so some of the items brought back memories. I was already full from eating lunch downstairs at one of the food booths, but the breads were hard to resist eating!

Some of the pastries and breads at the bakery. Yummy!

On another note, apparently we had two earthquakes this week or within the past few nights. I never felt a thing, neither did Joey.

2 comments:

Chris and Amy said...

I don't know what the fruit is, but then again I don't know what soursop is either. :) I didn't know we had earth quakes either!

Amy Hart said...

I've only been to Onna Market once, but I've been meaning to make a trip back up there. Their produce was so fresh. I also got some kind of Japanese lemon candy that I can't find anywhere else.

I don't know what soursop is either. I'm curious...