Monday, September 22, 2008

Snorkeling at Maeda Flats

Joey had gone snorkeling a few weekends ago with a friend to Maeda Flats and was so excited when he came home because of all the fishes, sea urchins, sea cucumbers, and coral he saw. So we went out and bought me a snorkel set, as well as an underwater camera, for our next adventure.

Saturday, we went back to Maeda Flats with the same friend Joey went with earlier, and two other friends who were newbies to snorkeling like me. What an experience! Despite the fact that I would freak out because I didn't know how to use my fins properly, and I hated when my feet couldn't reach the floor, I loved it! I got better towards the end, but only because I decided to ditch the fins. The two newbies went a bit farther out than I did, while Joey and his friend went out past the waves, where the coral dropped off. They even saw a jellyfish, eek!


These fish were a beautiful, bright blue color.
You can see some sea urchins underneath the coral with white tips.

The next day, Joey and I went back by ourselves later in the evening when it was a higher tide than the day before and were able to catch some videos. Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time loading the videos, sorry! But the videos don't do justice of what you actually see and experience anyway ... and it's way better than what I learned in Biology class!

A cute blue starfish peeking out of the coral!

Next on the list of things to do on the island, get certified to go Scuba diving ... or maybe after I learn how to use my fins.

No comments: