Tuesday, June 17, 2008

PCSing is ...

… time consuming, difficult, and expensive. For those non-military, it means “Permanent Change of Station”. This is my first PCS, and Joey’s second.

It’s time consuming because my express shipping weight limit is 500 pounds (I think) since I’m leaving from a different location than Joey’s leaving base in Georgia. It shouldn’t be a problem because I’m taking mostly clothes and books. I’m leaving all my furniture because apparently my two sisters already called dibs on my room and all its contents. So, I have to sort through all my stuff and figure out what I want to bring, leave behind, and donate/throw away.

It’s difficult, plain and simple. I’ve only had to move once in my life, from my old house to my new house. All I did was load my drawers in my car and unload them. It took about half a day to move my room. Now, I’m still only moving stuff in my room, but it’s hard (read above). Anyone who had moved feels my stress, haha!

It’s expensive. I feel like I need to buy all the things I would need for the next three to four years as if I’m never coming back home and I can’t buy it in Japan. Don’t worry, I didn’t. The only thing I stocked up on was make-up from Sephora because I LOVE that store and a few more clothes! But since I got rid of more than half my belongings, I know that when I get to Japan, Joey will have to take me shopping!

I’m going to miss San Diego! I came across some pictures I haven’t seen before when Joey and I went to SD’s Wild Animal Park in the Fall. We’re a weird couple and I love it!


Yes, they're fake giraffes.
I would never let an animal drink from my straw,
but Joey would let a giraffe lick his ear!

3 comments:

Heather Hansen said...

When are you leaving? We fly out next Tuesday.

Liza said...

i leave on the 29th! are you excited?

Edgar said...

That's a very long flight, but adventurous. Good luck on this new chapter of your life together in Okinawa. 卒業おめでとう Sotsugyou Omedetou! Congrats on your graduation as well.