Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Spooky Sites Tour

A week before Halloween, Joey and I joined our friends Charity and Chris on the Spooky Sites Tour of Okinawa. During the tour, our tour guide told us interesting Okinawan ghost stories. We live on a fairly small island, so I'm sure there are quite a few spirits or ghosts wandering around the island - especially after the Battle of Okinawa.

In fact, there are tombs everywhere on the island - practically every block. There are a couple just up the road from where I live. Okinawa doesn't have a cemetery, instead, families have family tombs to place their loved ones ashes. I admit, I was pretty spooked when I first arrived and would have to drive past some on the way home. I'm not so much scared now because I learned Okinawan's believe that their ancestors and their spirits will protect you.

If you want to hear some of the ghost stories that were told to us on the tour, ask me. Otherwise, I won't post them on here and you'll have to just find out by going on the tour yourself!

We visited three locations - Cape Zanpa, a haunted house on Kadena, and a park near the Goen Yakiniku in Yomitan. Yes, I was a scaredy cat at all of the locations. But I think that fact that it was raining and there was limited light in some of the locations attributed to me being scared.

Cape Zanpa

We've been to Cape Zanpa during the day a couple of times, being that it's really close to where we live. I have to say, I like it better when it's daylight.

The haunted house on Kadena AB.

Goen Park

It's weird that I'm a huge scaredy cat, but I still love to hear ghost stories and watch scary movies.

No comments: