Friday, October 23, 2009

Military Spouse Rant

*Editor's Note: It's just one of those days where people leave me flabbergasted - in particular, military spouses, and I just need to rant.

I'm a fairly new military spouse and consider myself new to the military, despite that fact that my dad is retired Navy. Growing up, I never lived on-base, never moved base to base, and only went on base to go to the Exchange, commissary, or to the hospital. The military was never a major part of my life, until now.

There are a things about the military that I'm not fond about, but the benefits I've gained by being a dependent outweigh them by a lot. I've had excellent health care, a home, was able to get a great education all the way throughout college, and more recently, have got to move to a beautiful island.

So I don't understand why spouses complain about the military, when the military is a huge part of their life! I've heard spouses say that they weren't the ones who joined the military. True. But you decided to marry your husband (or wife) with full knowledge that they had intent to join or were already in the military. When you said yes, you said yes to the whole package - the military life and all. And if you still don't agree with the military life, then why did you agree for your spouse to reenlist?

You can dislike things about the military, but you can also make the best out of the situation and work around that obstacle. How does complaining about the situation help you or your family?

You can't complain about the roof over your head, the money in the bank, the food on the table, the education for your children, and the honor of being married to a serviceman. So think about that the next time you see or hear people without a home, no money, no food on the table, no education, and no pride.

4 comments:

Charity said...

You tell it, Liza! Thanks for my $1 today, by the way.

aviva5271 said...

amen, girl - sing it. we all have our "pity party" moments, as i like to call them, but in general we all have it pretty darn good. i agree with YOU.

(...and that paycheck and a roof over my head are pretty good when the country is in a horrendous recession with double-digit unemployment too.)

Chris and Amy said...

Well put Liza! Too many whiners out there! My only complaint right now is this rain! Is it ever going to stop?

arikisa said...

i agree. well put girlie.