Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Solar Eclipse 2009

Today was the the longest total solar eclipse of the 21st century, lasting up to six and a half minutes, and from Okinawa, we were able to view it at 92% obscuration! Pretty cool, huh? I think so too, but unfortunately, I sort of missed it!

I heard a lot of talk about people getting special glasses to view to eclipse, because duh, you don't want to stare directly into the sun. I figured I'd save my money, take pictures with my camera, and see it through the pictures. Wrong! How was I supposed to know? I didn't know what to expect!

Through the special sun filter glasses, you were able to see the actual eclipse! Instead, I got this picture:

I did see the outer ring though!


A friend and I drove to the park, set down a blanket, sat, and waited, and waited, and waited thinking we were going to see full-on darkness. Nope! The sky did get somewhat dark, as if it were going to rain soon though.

Joey, on the other hand, was able to see the eclipse! He was at work and the guys used their welder's helmets to view the eclipse. He tried taking a picture with his phone through the helmet, prior to the eclipse, and this is what he got:

They also tried to see the reflection through a puddle on the ground or through water in a bucket. Don't know if those worked out well since he didn't get any pictures.

However, the Commander was there and did his magic! He held up a piece of cardboard with a pencil sized hole in the middle ...


... and reflected the sun's image on a white piece of paper on the ground. You see that tiny crescent reflection? That's the eclipse!


Those are our images of the eclipse. Not much, but it'll do!

No comments: